If you meet a person and he or she seems too nice to be true, run. With 25% of the population suffering from narcissism and other similar personality disorders, there’s a good chance you’ll encounter one. And it’s not your job to become their dance partner. Your job is to get the heck out of there and practice self-care.
But how do you know you have met a narcissist? Here are some signs I have discovered from my own journey living with people suffering from this personality disorder.
- When you are around a narcissist you feel exhausted and eventually as this person sucks you dry, your self-esteem plummets to an all-time low.
- When they empathise with you, it seems fake or that they are using your vulnerability to snag you into their distorted worldview.
- They blow up over seemingly small or insignificant situations.
- They blow up when you don’t give them all your attention.
- They act like they are entitled for you to do favors for them.
- They blow up when you don’t make them the center of attention.
- They blow up when you don’t agree with their views and opinions.
- They can’t stand being alone.
- They lay guilt trips on you.
- And eventually, they grow more desperate and dangerous. Their revenge tactics escalate and they can cause you physical, emotional, and mental harm.
They are charming and they use that charm to manipulate others. They act like they care about you, but it’s really them they care about, and even then, they have no empathy for themselves. They are incapable of empathizing with anyone but they put on a good act. They keep mentioning how good and nice they are while projecting their shadows onto others who they scapegoat. They twist your words around so they come out the winner. They lay guilt trips when you don’t cater to their needs because they feel they are entitled. They don’t allow you to have your own life, opinions, or interests.
Their moods swing from seemingly kind and generous to scathing. They act like loose cannons and throw you off guard. When you confide in them, they use that information against you at a later time. They prey on your weaknesses. They have to win at all cost. They enjoy arguments and get off sexually from them. They steal power and energy through arguments and pushing other people’s buttons. Either they remain chilly and calm while their partners blow up in anger or they blow up in anger and throw tantrums. And their moods and feelings are always someone else’ fault. They won’t take responsibility for their actions ever. They will pretend to apologize but only to get in good graces so they can begin a new cycle of abuse.
If you find yourself in a relationship with a narcissist, get professional help in the form of therapy. Narcissists can cause emotional damage that requires healing. Liberate yourself today. You deserve better. And you’re not on this planet to serve a person who suffers from a grandiose illusion.
I give coaching sessions using astrology, angel card readings and channeling. Sign up at Whole Astrology. The Universe will provide you with the money to pay for the session if you are indeed ready to take the next step.